Blog by Sumana Harihareswara, Changeset founder
Now Awaiting The "Publish" Cronjob
Hi, reader. I wrote this in 2005 and it's now more than five years old. So it may be very out of date; the world, and I, have changed a lot since I wrote it! I'm keeping this up for historical archive purposes, but the me of today may 100% disagree with what I said then. I rarely edit posts after publishing them, but if I do, I usually leave a note in italics to mark the edit and the reason. If this post is particularly offensive or breaches someone's privacy, please contact me.
About four years ago, I wrote a story for Leonard's now-defunct geek humor site Segfault in which I listed nonsensical Salon headlines. A conversation with Farhad Manjoo reminded me of it, so I reproduce it here:
- Winglows: XP isn't so bad
- HighDander: Drugs ruined my life and I chose neither to write an indulgent confessional, nor to pursue a graduate degree in English
- If Code is Free, Why Not Kimchee?: Free software zealots love Korean cuisine...too much for their own good?
- If Code is Free, Why Not Flee?: Why open source is doomed
- Microgoth: The Redmond raver subculture
- E-Toys: How banner ads, Cingular, and spam enhanced my MDMA trip
- Pottery Darn: Stop whining, franchises are better than independents anyway
- The Conventional Wisdom: It's right, yet again!
- Our Fascist Friends: At least the Taliban uses Linux
- Salon Reaming 'em: Why you should never feel obligated to pay for online content, unless it's ours
The Microsoft and franchise story jokes are showing their age; I think Salon has now done both of those.